Monday 19 September 2016

Grey Gallery Dress

It seems like ages ago now. It was before the madness of Book Week, before I sewed for myself for the See You At Six tour and before the craziness of school concert sewing (yet to be documented)...

I made myself a simple dress. The weather was wintery (and still is) and I wore it with tights and a top underneath. Took some photos, baulked at the visible 'spencer' line across my chest and moved on thinking I'll take more pictures another day. Well I haven't taken more pictures and since I like to document everything I've made here, I'm posting it anyway. 


It's the dress view of the Gallery Tunic & Dress pattern by Liesl + Co. From memory I made a straight size 12 with no alterations other than adding about about 3cm in length. In hindsight I should have let it be a bit shorter as it's bordering on the length of the garments that some men wear over trousers. Maybe it's the shirt tail hem, maybe it's the grey colour, but if I ever need to dress as an elderly Afghani man then I'm thinking I've got half the outfit already!

What I didn't add any length to was the sleeves. Man I'm loving the Liesl & Co patterns block for sleeve length. Raising one monkey arm to high five Liesl on that sleeve length!


The fabric is a stretch wool shirting that I picked up on sale at The Fabric Store. It's lovely to wear, surprisingly warm and not (quite) as wrinkly as a cotton or linen. And that suits me as I hate ironing.

The only thing I do need to rectify is the pockets tendency to flop down and backwards. I'm hoping if I was to bother understitching the back opening and topstitching the front opening that would do it. Otherwise I'd need to try and invisible hand stitch them to the dress front.

A while ago my mum spotted a french linen shirt dress that had a simple mandarin collar, a short placket and lots of pintucks at the top. It didn't fit her all that well and was expensive for what it was. I immediately saw this pattern when I looked at it, and figured I'd make one up with no alterations to test the shape/size, then do the maths to convert that one centre pleat into a half dozen pintucks on each side. She might just have to wait a while, but I can see it working...


Meanwhile, so long as Melbourne refuses to fully embrace spring and insists on staying grey, I'm dressing warm and staying grey too!

16 comments:

  1. The dress is good - you might find it easier to do the pin tucks then cut out the pattern... That's how I roll with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's what I was thinking. That's how some pyjamas I made my daughter worked, and while it wastes a bit more fabric it saves a lot of maths!

      Delete
  2. Perfect fabric/pattern/grey day combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. You know it looks really nice with a bright scarf added!

      Delete
  3. Very comfortable looking dress and the grey can lend itself to some colour if you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is comfy thanks Sharon, and there is that tiny cream and mustard check through it, so it would go really nicely with a matching scarf or necklace.

      Delete
  4. I actually love that length on you! But I know what you mean about feeling funny about it. And how funny that the sleeves are long enough--I base everything on my dress form, so apparently she also has long arms? I know mine are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for stopping by to comment! :)
      I do generally like a below knee length on me. It's just such s long, straight drop at the back to get used to! I'll be happy to shake your dress forms long arm if we ever meet.

      Delete
  5. love love love this dress. Perfect for this weather. Man I miss sun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenya. I miss the warmth, but I'll never wish for the heat!

      Delete
  6. Shelley this dress looks amazing on you! It's one of my favorite things you've ever made and it makes me want to sew for myself ! But I'm curious - what does it mean to block for sleeve length? I love these pictures of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! That's praise indeed and I would LOVE to see you make more things for yourself. This is a great pattern as, unless you have a big bosom (no, me neither) you get your shoulder size right and then no adjustments needed! You could absolutely do this and wear it very well!
      That kind of 'block' is not a verb as in blocking a knitwear garment, but rather I'm referring to the block (noun) being the basic pattern shape from which Liesl makes her variations to create different patterns. Obviously her pattern block (which turns out to be her dress form) has lovely long arms!

      Delete
  7. So good!!! Very stylish! And I like the somber/sombre gray/grey color/colour. ;-) The nice thing about this length is that I'm thinking you could probably belt it, no?

    Good to know about the sleeves! That means I will have to shorten them probably! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely could belt it, and bringing in the back with a belt reduces the Afghan robe vibe considerably. I just don't own any nice belts. Hand plaiting a leather belt is on my macrame bucket list, but it needs to look good, not like I wrapped leather thonging round me. I'll need practice.... (should just buy one as I'll take a decade to make it)

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely style on you, not at all old-Afghani-man! And Melbourne being what it is, you'll probably have a few more opportunities to wear it before the weather warms up for good. If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to blog the Lisette B6244 coat that I made at the start of winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wearing this dress heaps and with a long open coat too! I've had that Lisette coat on my to-make list for ages. I want to see yours!

      Delete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.